What is Xavier Aptitude Test
Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT) is national-level management aptitude test. It is conducted by Xavier School of Management. XLRI conducts the exam on behalf of Xavier Association of Management Institutes (XAMI). XAT scores are used by more than 800 institutes for admission to MBA, PGDM and other management courses.
XAT or Xavier Aptitude Test is the entrance exam organized and conducted by Xavier Labour Relation Institute (XLRI), Jamshedpur on the behalf of Xavier Association of Management Institutes (XAMI) for the last 60 years. The XAT exam score is accepted by XLRI and almost 150 other top tier management institutes in India. It is one of the oldest competitive examinations in India to select most appropriate students for the management education. Until 2017, XAT was conducted as paper based test. Starting 2018 it has become an online exam.
About Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT) 2019
XAT 2019 will be conducted on Sunday, January 6, 2019. XLRI conducts XAT on behalf of XAMI. For more than 60 years XLRI is conducting XAT at all India level to select the most appropriate students for management education. The XAT score is being used by more than 150 institutes for the admission.
XAT 2019 would be conducted across India in the following cities. Ahmedabad, Allahabad, Amritsar, Bengaluru, Berhampur, Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Chandigarh, Chennai, Cochin, Coimbatore, Cuttack, Dehradun, Delhi, Goa, Greater Noida, Gurgaon, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Indore, Jabalpur, Jaipur, Jammu, Jamshedpur, Kanpur, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mangalore, Mumbai, Nagpur, Nasik, Noida, Patna, Pune, Raipur, Ranchi, Rourkela, Sambalpur, Surat, Tiruchirapalli, Trivandrum, Udaipur, Vadodara, Varanasi, Vijayawada, Visakhapatnam.
XAT Registration: August 20, 2018 to November 30, 2018
XAT 2019 REGISTRATION PROCESS
Visit xatonline.in choose the tab “Registration” and enter Name, Date of Birth, Contact details and Email-id. A system generated XAT ID and Password will be communicated to you through Email/SMS. Candidate should note down the XAT ID and Password for future communication.
- In case the candidate is unable to complete the application form in one go, he / she can save the data already entered by choosing “SAVE AND NEXT” tab. Visually Impaired candidates should fill the application form carefully and verify the same before the final submission.
- Candidates are advised to fill the form carefully and verify the details before the final submission. No changes will be entertained after clicking the FINAL SUBMIT BUTTON.
- Candidate’s Name / Father’s Name / Mother’s Name etc. should be spelt correctly in the application as it appears in the Certificates/ Mark sheets/Identity proof. Any change / alteration found may disqualify the candidature.
- Candidates can proceed to upload Photo & Signature as per the specifications given in the Guidelines.
- Candidates can proceed to fill other details of the Application Form.
- Candidate interested for XLRI Programme(s) can apply through XAT or GMAT.
- Select XAT TEST City. Test City preference can be edited only once before November 30, 2018.
- Click on the Preview Tab to preview and verify the entire application form before FINAL SUBMIT.
- Modify details, if required, and click on ‘FINAL SUBMIT’ ONLY after verifying and ensuring that the photograph, signature uploaded and other details filled by you are correct.
- Click on ‘Payment’ Tab and proceed for payment.
- Click on ‘Submit’ button.
** In case of doubt about the successful Registration, candidates are advised to visit the Page for Re-Print of Application, generate the Printout and preserve the soft copy and hard copy (printout) of the Application.
PAYMENT OF FEES
XAT Registration Fee (without late fee) – Rs. 1700/-
Candidates interested in XLRI programmes needs to pay an additional fee of Rs. 300/- each.
XAT Registration Fee (with late fee) – Rs. 2000/-
Candidates interested in XLRI programmes needs to pay an additional fee of Rs. 500/- each.
Indian Candidates applying for GMP through GMAT – Rs. 2500/-
NRI/Foreign Candidates applying for one or more programmes through GMAT – Rs. 5000/-
- The application form is integrated with the payment gateway and the payment process can be completed by following the instructions.
- The payment can be made by using Debit Cards (RuPay / Visa / Master Card / Maestro), Credit Cards and Internet Banking.
- After submitting your payment information, PLEASE WAIT FOR THE INTIMATION FROM THE SERVER. DO NOT PRESS BACK OR REFRESH BUTTON IN ORDER TO AVOID DOUBLE PAYMENT
- On successful completion of the transaction, an e-Receipt will be generated.Non-generation of ‘E-Receipt’ indicates PAYMENT FAILURE. On failure of payment, Candidates are advised to login again using their XAT ID and Password and repeat the process of payment.
- Candidates are required to take a printout of the e-Receipt and online Application Form. Please note that if the same cannot be generated, online transaction may not have been successful.
- To ensure the security of your data, please close the browser window once your transaction is completed.
XAT Eligibility Criteria 2019
Management aspirants who wish to apply for XAT 2019 must fulfil the eligibility criteria as prescribed by XLRI Jamshedpur.
- Bachelor’s Degree in any discipline from a recognised University or Institute. The minimum duration of the programme has to be three years.
- Final year graduation students are also eligible to apply provided they complete the programme within the stipulated schedule, which is most likely to be by June 2019.
Age limit – There is no age limit to apply for XAT 2019.
XAT Eligibility for NRI/Foreign candidates –
NRI or foreign national candidates have to apply through GMAT scores. Candidates from Dubai or Nepal are exempted from applying through GMAT scores as XAT will be conducted in these two international cities.
Essay Writing section has been removed. Now the exam has four sections. They are Verbal and Logical Ability (VA & LR), Decision Making (DM), Quantitative Aptitude and Data Interpretation (QA & DI), General Knowledge (GK).
|Verbal and Logical Ability||Vocabulary, Analogy-based on vocabulary, Reading Comprehension, Sentence correction, Grammar, Fill in the blanks, Paragraph Formation Questions, Poem, etc.|
|Decision-making||Arithmetic, Analytical Reasoning, Situational, etc.|
|QA & DI||Percentage, Profit & Loss, Time & Distance, Time & Work, Equations, Polynomials, Numbers, Progressions, Probability, Permutation and Combination, Data Sufficiency, Scatter Plots and Bar Charts, etc.|
|GK||History, Currency, Invention, Geography, National Capital, Culture, Books and authors, Personalities, Important Dates, Films, Science and Business, Current affairs, etc.|
Marking Scheme –
Each question will carry 1 mark and for each wrong answer, 1/4th of the total marks allotted to a question will be deducted. There is negative marking of 0.05 marks also involved for un-attempted questions as well, beyond 8.
XAT Admit Card 2019
The admit card of XAT 2019 will be available online for the candidates who successfully fill the application form along with the application fee. The admit card will be available from December 20, 2018. Candidates would be able to download the admit card using their XAT ID and password. Without the XAT 2019 admit card, candidates will not be allowed to take the entrance test. XAT admit card 2019 will display the candidate’s name, date of birth and contact details along with the test centre name and address. Exam day instructions will also be given on the admit card of XAT 2019.
Duration of the test
The duration of the test will be of three hours from 10:00 am to 01:00 pm on Sunday, January 6, 2019.
XAT 2019 results
The result of XAT 2019 results will be available on the website by last week of January 2019. Candidates would be able to check the result from the official website using their XAT id and password.
Expected XAT Cut off 2019
The cutoff for XLRI Jamshedpur will be released after the announcement of the result. The XAT 2019 cutoff percentile will depend on various factors such as difficulty level of exam, the number of test takers and a number of seats offered in the programme among others. The cutoff of XAT 2019 will be based on these factors and will be declared separately by each of the XAT participating institutes.
XAT Preparation Strategy
The paper can be split into three parts: concept driven, practice intensive and environment sensitive. Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation and select areas of Verbal & Logical Ability are concept driven; Decision Making & Analytical Reasoning is a purely practice intensive section while General Knowledge is environment sensitive
The exam is markedly different from the other MBA entrance exams as it features a section on Decision Making. This is an area that checks your management aptitude by presenting different situations and cases, and asks you to identify the correct recourse in these situations.
Know your Exam –
Although there is no any written syllabus for competitive exams like XAT or CAT, but still, by observing the past trends, you can get a lot of idea of what sort of question is expected to appear in the question paper. The sections are usually announced in advance like verbal ability, quantitative aptitude, decision making, general awareness, etc. So, what you really need to work upon is the basics of these subject areas, like Maths formulas for QA, English grammar for VA and regular current news updates for general awareness. Thus, if you are aware of the essentials of the paper, you will come out with flying colours.
Know the Difference –
XAT is pretty different from all the other MBA entrance exams that you plan to appear for. That doesn’t mean it is the toughest but undoubtedly the one that checks your academic skills as well as IQ and expression power. It does not require you to be the master of any one field while ignoring others; rather it looks out for a jack of all trade who could be transformed into the master of business administration/management in near future.
Be ready to adapt to changed scenario –
In 2013 XAT, students witnessed some changes in the exam pattern like there was a complete new section of general awareness, long hours and QA section was easier than expected. Students who were mentally prepared to tackle the change successfully made a mark and made it to the league list. So, apart from knowing the syllabus and planning your preparation, you also need to be ready to face any challenge that the question paper process.
Practice Hard –
Don’t forget that only learning chapters and making plans will not take you anywhere, it is the executions of these strategies that ultimately count. So practice, practice and practice till you are perfect at the chapter and then move ahead. Taking mock test and solving previous year’s question papers are certainly beneficial.
Reference Material –
Mathematics by: R.S.Agarwal and S.L.Gulathi. Reasoning by: R.S.Agarwal [Verbal and Nonverbal] and Marksman Reasoning. English by Wren and Martin [English Grammar], Antonyms and Synonyms [Arihant Publication] and Thesaurus [Idioms and phrases]. You can also follow Norman Lewis’s “word power made easy”.